Pages

Sunday 9 February 2014

G is for

This is my seventh post in a row - which means I have managed to keep going for a full week. An achievement for me. I think the wheels on the bus are going round and round.

I have decided that my seventh letter, G,  is for Generosity.  I don't mean being generous in a monetary sense, for me it is much more about the generosity of spirit, friendship - the sense of giving without expecting anything in return. In a world where power and greed, selfishness and a lack of consideration seem more and more prevelent, acts of kindness appear more and more rare. But I don't think they are; I think they are happening all around us they just don't make sensational headlines. 

And I think in our creative world crafters have a natural generosity built in. We are quite happy to share our art with others, we don't mind lending our equipment in workshops and giving our stash away. No reward required, just happiness that we have helped someone else.

Today's artwork is something I designed as part of one of the workshops I taught last year. And if you want generosity of spirit those workshops were full of it. Running a class single handedly (literally) is quite a challenge, but there was always someone to give me a hand, or at least the use of theirs. 

This tag is made from acetate, which was then run through two different embossing folders. The leaves are a mixture - the cream one was cut from cardstock using a Memory Box leaf die, whilst the other two are the 'waste' from using  parchment release paper with the dies.

The stamp is from Punky Flowers which was inked with Memento Tuxedo Black and then coloured with alchol markers. Another skill I have had to learn using my left hand. I won't show all the ones where I coloured outside the lines!

Finally the flower and leaves were attached using a wet adhesive.

The close up below shows the detail of the two embossed patterns and shading on the flower.


So next time someone gives you their parking ticket to use in the car park, or lets you go first in a queue or shares their stamps and gems with you in a workshop applaude their generosity. These are the people who help us keep faith in mankind.

Look forward to sharing again with you tomorrow.
 



9 comments:

Miranda said...

Being generous is like the drop in the water......when you are generous or receiving it will has its effect on others like the ripples in the water......
Indeed like you said Lesley, these times it is even rare when someone is being kind or just give you a spontaneous smile but it is worth so much!When we are able to do such things maybe even once a day......it will make a difference! Thanks for your inspiring words, xx Miranda
Oooooo I forgot all about your beautiful tag, I love the effect of the embossing on the acetate and that flower is so lovely coloured, great idea to create a tag like this.

jackiescrafts said...

Another gorgeous tag Lesley and well done for keeping up your daily blogging for the first week of your challenge

Jackie x

craftimamma said...

Hello Lesley, What a joy to see your blog come alive again and not only with beautiful artwork but also wonderful, inspiring words. I would have been here at the beginning of the week but yet another emergency situation hit our family. This time it was Grand Daughter Izzy who was taken into hospital last weekend and ended up with emergency surgery! To help out (and also to help keep Izzy a bit quieter than normal) she came to stay with us for the week. That of course meant I gave her all my attention and NOTHING else got done. Somehow I've managed to aggravate an old back problem (probably sitting badly to read stories ;D) and have spent the weekend struggling to do anything for long. Never mind, I'll get there in the end, lol!

Anyway, much as I'd like to comment on every post I'd be here all night so it's one long comment instead. Your tags are all gorgeous Lesley and even more amazing that you are still effectively one handed. I would be totally useless with just my left hand!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

vinny said...

such a beautiful tag, I can`t believe how much you have managed with only one hand. x Lavinia

Paula (PEP) said...

More truth. This morning my husband was out in town when he heard some shouting, he got on with what he was doing then realised that at the corner was a little lady with a small dog still shouting - she was asking him if he was lost? It's kindness indeed that makes one smile. Your shading on that flower is wonderful left handed, better than many of my right handed attempts. I wonder if P will be for Perseverance??
Paula (PEP)

Debbie said...

Well done Lesley for getting to day 7. I'm really enjoying reading your thoughtful words. The tags you've posted are amazing like always. Congratulations on the article in Craft Stamper showing what can be done when you put your mind to it. Debbie xx

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous Lesley, love the beautiful design. I am a new follower and love your other tags too. Can't wait to see more of them.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Doreen said...

What a gorgeous tag.xxx

Sarah said...

What a fabulous sentiment Lesley - where would we all be without others being generous towards us? I think you're amazing blogging and crafting one-handed - and such gorgeous work. Super tag too LOL ... Sarah & the Honey Monsters xxx